Thursday, November 17, 2011

DIY- Elbow Patches: Bolts, Buttons, & Owls

Well, the crafting/ elbow patches were a huge success!!

My mom & dad are out of town so I am helping out with my niece that my mom is in charge of a few days a week. Yesterday was school, ballet class, and homework, and today she got out of school early so we went to the craft store, ran some errands, and watched half of Alice and Wonderland.

Then we headed over to my brother's house for elbow patch night with my
sister -in- law while my niece and nephew played together. We had a few little projects for them to do too, and I think they had fun. I also got dinner out of the deal - SCORE! and an AMAZING salted caramel cupcake! All the makings of an awesome night to me.

I made 2 bird pins out of pre-cut felt that I hot glued onto a pin back, and ribbon bookmarks with buttons at the top and bottom. Those turned out ok, but the elbow patches stole the show!!!!

My S-I-L FREE HANDED a lightening bolt onto bright yellow felt and we attached those with glue to my coziest striped sweater. (Have you ever tried to draw a lightening bolt that size with no pattern? It's way harder then it looks!) Then she had some owl fabric, so we used a heart cookie cutter to cut the patches, made a mark where my elbow is, and used iron on adhesive to attach to my green hoodie. Tell me this is not the most adorable thing you have ever seen!

Those were my projects. Hers was an embellished cardi with petals and buttons, which looked really cute on, and a button belt inspired by Pinterest. That was fun to make. I didn't do anything, but I had fun watching her hot glue all those buttons to the elastic. It is secured with a ribbon loop onto a bigger button and looked seriously adorable!

We had a ton of fun jazzing up our fall wardrobes!

Check out some pics:


From plain navy cardigan to beautiful statement piece

Shazam! Lightning bolts, baby!

Owls in love!
Button Belt



My first instinct once we did the owls was to iron on owls to everything. I almost ironed one onto my jeans while I was still wearing them! But, I had to remind myself less is more and take a break before I ended up ruining something by over doing. I LOVE the finished product!
Easy, cheap, and one of a kind. And so many possibilities!


Now for Fill In the Blank Friday:

1. A nervous habit I have is laughing weirdly and loudly. I do it anyway, but when I'm nervous or uncomfortable it gets worse.

2. Something that makes me sad is everything. I am way too sensitive. And been very emotional lately.

3. Today I am thankful for laughter.

4. My favorite room in my house is my shoe room. I have an entire room dedicated to my shoes and makeup. Please don't hate me, it just worked out that way when we moved into this house 2 years ago, we had an extra bedroom, and I was able to make it into pretty much a walk in closet/ work out room. (My treadmill is in there too.) I'm not that good at decorating, but I made it very girlie and fun in there.

5. I can't stand entitled/selfish/rude people. If I can smile and be nice, you can too. It's not that hard.

6. If I had an extra $100 to spend on whatever I wanted today I would taken my niece on a shopping spree. That would have been fun- she would have loved it!

7. The last person I hung out with was my brother, sister in law, niece and nephew having fun with glue, felt, buttons, ribbon, and baked goods!

0 comments:

Post a Comment